Sunday, October 07, 2007

A FO and a WIP

Wip wip! wip wip! What a funny sound. So believe it or not, much has happened since I last posted, even though (gasp!) it hasn't been ages since I blogged. So here is a Fabulous FO. Meet Marilyn.

Marilyn was knit with 8.5 skeins of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Superchunky in color 26. This bad girl was knit on size 11 needles. September was an instant gratification knitting month for me. I knit not one, not two, but three sweaters on size 10.5 or 11 needles. Yikes! And I love them all, actually. But back to Marilyn. Marilyn was heavily modified. The XS size had a bust measurement of a whopping 41". Thanks, but no thanks. I ended up casting on 112 stitches total for the body (this was knit in the round instead of flat, like the pattern calls for) and did the decreases and increases as written. For the sleeves I cast on 24 and increased when I felt it was necessary (sleeves were also knit in the round). All in all, I love this sweater. Its very cozy and still cute... but this thing is HEAVY. 8.5 skeins of yarn, 100g per skein equals .85 kilograms, which equals 1.873 lbs. Yikes! Good thing I live in Ohio.

As promised, I cast on for the $1.50 cardigan

... and wow, the back is done already. How did that happen? Am I not working with size 5 needles and linen yarn and half lace pattern? Well yes, I am, but this pattern somehow seemed to fly by anyway. Before I knew it I was ready to decrease for the underarms. I then put it aside to treat myself to some new knitting with some nice merino, and I cast on for the LSD cardigan. And holy moly my gauge is way off. I'm substituting Debbie Bliss Merino Aran (pattern calls for Artyarns Supermerino) and so I knew there would be some difference, but this cardigan is clocking in around 40" (I'm knitting the 33" size). So time to frog, swatch, and cast on again. Sigh.
And lastly, I think I've made a decision regarding the drop-stitch mess in the aforementioned post. Details to come.

1 comment:

bek said...

Sometime we need to hang out so that I can time how fast you knit. You can knit a sweater in less time than it would take me to buy one. (So not fair.) And as a faithful blog-reader, I feel compelled to point out that I have noticed no aforementioned post on dropped stitches. (But am sorry to hear that you have them...)